EAST HARDWICK PARISH COUNCIL

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL

 

7.30pm Thursday 26th November 2020

This meeting was held remotely via the Zoom app.

  1. Present: Cllrs. S. Radford, A. Lagden, C. Wheatley, M. Wheatley, E. Spurdens and Clerk Ms J. Kendall.

Apologies: None

No members of the public attended the meeting.

  1. Minutes of the last meeting held on: 24 September 2020

Cllr Lagden requested that the wording on item 8c should read: “Cllr Lagden agreed to chair the meeting on an ad hoc basis”, deleting reference to ‘Acting Chair’. The minutes were then accepted as a true record. Proposed: Cllr, C. Wheatley, Seconded: Cllr S Radford.

  1. Matters Arising: 

Website Accessibility: Cllr Radford thanked the Clerk for updating the website in accordance with new requirements and refreshing the front page with an amended title font and logo.

Community Infrastructure Levy:

Cllr Radford reported that the development on the Paddock, now called Cawood Gardens, should generate additional funds for the PC.

Potentially, a four-figure sum, representing 25% of the overall Community Levy imposed on appropriate new developments, may be expected. This PC funding will be classified as the ‘Neighbourhood Fund’ and as such is to enable local funding of projects in the spheres of: education, medical and transport. Once approved, such projects can then apply for any ongoing support maintenance, from the District Council’s Strategic Fund, which receives the other 75% of the Community Levy paid by the developer. This money must be spent within 5 years of receipt. It is assumed that the sum will be paid directly to the PC, but the detail will be researched by Cllr Radford through Ms Morgan Stringer, WDC Spatial Planning Dept. Cllr Spurdens will report on any receipts at the next meeting.

Dog waste bins:

Cllr Radford addressed concerns, previously expressed by residents to Cllr Spurdens, on the EHPC Community Facebook site for views. Only one negative concern was received that their provision may increase visitor numbers. Most felt it a good idea and various appropriate locations were suggested, particularly at the top of Common Piece Lane. Cllr Radford has contacted WDC with regard to bin supply and maintenance but has not yet received a reply. She will forward details to Cllr Spurdens.

Action: Cllr Spurdens will pursue this.

Remembrance Sunday:

 Cllr. Radford thanked Cllr. Spurdens for arranging purchase and collection of the wreath. This was laid at the war memorial and all members of the PC attended.  Feedback from the village has been very positive.

Action: Notice board: Cllr Spurdens will move the EHPC notice board to the side of her barn, adjacent to the red phone box, for ease of future access.

  1. Accounts:  Cllr. Spurdens reported a current PC bank account balance of £1654.29. Payments to BHIB for annual insurance cover of £330 and invoice for website development have been paid. A hard copy of the insurance documents has not been received, but an e-copy from BHIB confirms that we have the requisite cover.
  2. Highways: Cllr C Wheatley has extended our thanks to residents on     the FB Community page for their assistance in helping to avoid the need for formal road markings.

Cllr M Wheatley reported that no reply has been received to his email, sent in July to Cllr Jones and WDC, with regard to missing 30mph limit signs, in and around the village, and the A639. Cllr Radford advised that the 3ton weight restriction sign, having been knocked down, remains in the ditch by the bridge. He said he would pursue these matters further.

He advised having been in contact with Ackworth Parish Council with regard to the efficacy of Smiley Sid and wheelie-bin stickers and that his query has been passed for reply to their road safety committee.

A discussion ensued regarding established footpaths across certain fields having been ploughed and re-seeded appearing to prevent access for walkers using these rights-of-way.

Action: Cllr Spurdens agreed to speak informally to her neighbouring farmer colleagues for assistance in delineating the pathway on the field from the bridge to the main road.

  1. Planning: Cllr Radford reported that planning approval has been sought from WDC by the developers of the Cawood Gardens to site an underground Calor Gas tank. All present took a neutral view on the application, at this stage. Building work is progressing.
  2. Correspondence:  Clerks and Councils Direct, Weekly Planning lists, Newsletters from YLCA, White Rose Newsletter, Register of Electors, Agenda for Town and Parish Council liaison group, Wakefield Branch meeting details, catalogues, booking requests for the village hall.

Notification from WDC that salt orders had to be placed by PC’s before the end of November for a 5ton pre-winter delivery. It was decided that salt will be ordered if and when current supplies run low and Cllr Spurdens will collect with her colleague who has offered the use of his trailer.

The Clerk read the email from YLCA with regard to poor attendance at Wakefield Branch meetings. No Councillor feels that they have capacity to attend at present.

The Clerk has received a guidance booklet on holding events which was tabled at the last Branch meeting, which she will circulate.

  1. Any Other Business: A ‘Welcome to New residents’ document was tabled; this was agreed to be a good idea and the Clerk will complete the draft and liaise with the church and village hall representatives.

Date of Next Meeting: 7.30pm Thursday 28th January 2021

The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

 

7.30pm Thursday 24th September 2020

This meeting was held remotely via the Zoom app.

    1. Present: Cllrs. S. Radford, A. Lagden, C. Wheatley, E. Spurdens and Clerk Ms J. Kendall. No members of the public attended the meeting.
    2. Apologies: Cllr M. Wheatley.
    3. Minutes of the last meeting held on 1st July 2020: These were accepted as a true record. Proposed: Cllr, C. Wheatley, Seconded: Cllr S Radford.
    4. Matters Arising:   Planning: Cllr Radford reported that the recent electricity cut for residents on Doncaster Rd, had been investigated and it appeared that development work at the Mayfield farm site may have been a contributory factor. The worrying incident was reported to Cllr David Jones for further enquiry by WMDC Planning to ensure that no breach of planning regulations had occurred and that residents could be assured that no further loss of power was likely.                                                                                             Website Accessibility: the Clerk reported that the Accessibility statement had been uploaded and the website now updated according to new requirements. The Clerk will add descriptions to the photographs where necessary. Cllr Radford suggested that the website be refreshed with an amended title font and logo. The Clerk will liaise with the web designer.
    5. Accounts: Cllr Spurdens reported that the balance of the bank account is £1014.29. The annual insurance premium of £330 is due to be paid in November. Nothing has been heard from the auditors to indicate any issue with the recent submission of accounts. The Chair extended thanks to all those involved in the time-consuming process.
    6. Highways: Cllr C. Wheatley reported that residents had been reminded of the 10m parking restriction at the junction of Darrington Road/ A639, and the situation is much improved, with only the odd exception.

ACTION: Cllr Wheatley said she would extend our thanks to residents on the FB group page for their assistance in helping to avoid the need for formal road markings.

An email has been sent to Cllr Jones and WMDC with regard to missing 30mph limit signs in and around the village and A639, but no response has been received to date.

Cllr Spurdens reported having spoken informally to her neighbouring farmer colleagues and asking that they remind employees of the concerns of residents about speeding tractors through the village. All were amenable and have spoken to their drivers. The situation appears improved.

Cllr Radford suggested the idea of supplying residents with speed reminder notices for sticking on their wheelie bins – an initiative successfully implemented in other local councils.

ACTION: Cllr Wheatley will contact Ackworth PC as to the efficacy of these as well as their recent results after implementation of the portable Smiley Sid speeding device.

7.  Planning: Cllr Radford gave an update on the Paddock development and reported that new plans for plots 2 and 3 were approved on 3 Sept and work had been commenced immediately. Discharge of conditions relating to materials, boundaries and maintenance have since also been approved. The front boundary will now be a stone wall with 1.8 m timber boundary fencing to the sides. A very comprehensive 5 year maintenance schedule contract has been agreed by the developers with a reputable landscape specialist company, for ongoing management and general care of the site viz: mowing of the central area, care of foliage and boundary hedges, removal of litter & cuttings, as well as regular site inspections. Full details and photographs can be found on the WMDC planning website.

9.  Correspondence: Clerks and Councils Direct, Weekly planning lists, Newsletters from YLCA, White Rose Newsletter, Register of Electors, Agenda for Town and Parish Council liaison group, Wakefield Branch meeting details, catalogues, booking requests for the village hall.

7.  Any Other Business:

Cllr Spurdens will move the EHPC notice board to the side of her barn, adjacent to the red phone box, for ease of future access.

Cllr Wheatley reported on a possible future income stream through CIL (Community infrastructure Levy) whereby certain areas may benefit from additional funding when new property development has taken place in their village.

ACTION: She will make further enquiries with other local councils regarding the possibility of our eligibility.

Chair of Committee: Cllr Radford reported that she is to leave the village next month, having purchased a new home elsewhere in the Wakefield area. Having sought advice from YLCA she can confirm her eligibility to continue as Chair despite not being a village resident. However, this situation was not ideal as a permanent solution and no one currently is available to act as Vice Chair or take on the role of Chair. However, in the interim, Cllr Lagden has agreed to stand-in as Acting Chair, on an ad hoc basis, but clearly a new Councillor is needed. Cllr Radford is willing to continue as Chair in the short term. She was thanked for her contribution to the village over the last 3 years and told she had made a great impact, will be sorely missed and was wished well for the future. She thanked fellow Councillors for their kind words of support.

ACTION: The Clerk will advertise the role on the website and Councillors will canvass village residents.

Cllr Wheatley has received interest for an allotment tenancy and will liaise with Cllr Radford who holds a waiting list.

Cllr Spurdens reported that there has been a complaint about dog bags littering the Common Lane and a request for a bin to be located at the top of Common Lane.

ACTION: Cllr Radford will raise the subject on the FB Group page to determine local need and contact WMDC if appropriate.

Cllr Spurdens reported that she has ordered our Parish Council wreath for the Remembrance service from a new supplier.

ACTION: Clerk. It is hoped that COVID Regulations will not prevent the attendance of those wishing to pay their respects at the Memorial at 10am Sunday 8th November, but an update will be published on the website and FB group in advance.

10.  Date of Next Meeting7.30pm Thursday 26th November 2020.      

The meeting closed at 8.25pm.

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
7.30pm 1st July 2020
This meeting was held remotely via the Zoom app.

1. Present: Cllrs. S. Radford, A. Lagden, C. Wheatley, M. Wheatley, E. Spurdens and Clerk Ms J. Kendall.
Apologies: None.
No members of the public attended the meeting.

2. Minutes of the last meeting held in January 2020: These were accepted as a true record. Proposed: Cllr S Radford, Seconded: Cllr E. Spurdens.

3. Matters Arising:
VE Day celebration 8-10th May 2020: Cllr C. Wheatley reported that sadly the event had been cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic. However, a successful scarecrow festival with a 1940s theme and an afternoon tea celebration were held. These raised community spirit, there was great participation in making scarecrows and was featured on BBC Look North. Thanks to the local judge Sheila Hammond and to Pam Spreckley and Cllr Radford for their support. Flags were kindly donated by villager Claire Baker on behalf of Carlton Towers, Snaith. Numerous event plans are already being made for next year. Cllr Radford proposed a vote of thanks to Cllrs C and M Wheatley for their work.

4. Accounts: Cllr Spurdens reported that the balance of the bank account is £1103.47.

5. Highways: Cllr M. Wheatley reported that the junction with Darrington Road and the A639 has now been re-marked and the clarity is improved. The 30mph limit has not been replaced and he has reported this to Cllr David Jones. Cllr Jones is looking at redesign of the junction to make it safer. In addition, 2 other issues need to be addressed: speeding through the village and on the 30mph section of the A639. Also, he said that a concerned resident had reported that a constant hazard existed at the same A639 junction as vehicles were being illegally parked within 10 metres permitted from the mouth of the junction, obscuring the sight-line for traffic leaving and entering Darrington Rd. It was agreed that in the first instance, residents will be reminded of their obligations on the community Facebook page.

A number of concerns had been aired by residents regarding the inappropriate speed of farm vehicles driving through the village, with their drivers often being observed using mobile phones. Cllr Spurdens was asked to speak informally to her neighbouring farmer colleagues and ask that they remind their employees of the concerns of residents.

Cllr Wheatley will report the potholes outside number 32 on Darrington Road to WMDC Highways.

6. Planning: Cllr Radford reported that new plans for plots 2 and 3 on the Paddock site have been submitted and appear to consist of the addition of an extra floor, raising the overall height of the previously approved plots. Additionally, the enforcement notice served upon the site developers has been ignored and the adjacent verges not maintained which does not bode well for site management when any building commences and remains a source of concern. Cllr Radford reported that locals were sufficiently concerned about safety she had cleared the ground in front of the hoardings so the footpath is safe for residents. The decision to make a formal objection to the WMDC in respect of the application, was supported.

Residents on Doncaster Rd have raised concerns about the planting of laurel bushes and increased boundaries and major earth removal at Mayfield Caravan Park, apparently without planning permission having been obtained. A visit by the Council’s planning enforcement office has been requested and Cllr David Jones informed of the concerns of all residents regarding the site owner’s future plans.

It has been noted that the school site has recently been cleared and is again helping to improve the street scene considerably.

7. Correspondence: Clerks and Councils Direct, Weekly planning lists, Newsletters from YLCA, White Rose Newsletter, Register of Electors, Agenda for Town and Parish Council liaison group, Wakefield Branch meeting details, catalogues.

Website Accessibility Assessment requirements – Cllr Radford and the Clerk will review the website with regard to the new requirements and the website host will be contacted for a quote to work on the website.
Code of Conduct for Local Councils. National Assoc of Local Councils had requested a response regarding their consultation paper on standards and accountability of Councillors – Cllr Radford outlined the new proposals and sanctions and recommended we support the NALC.. It was agreed that the Clerk should communicate our favourable response.
8. Any Other Business:
Letters of thanks were written to Mrs Susan Marshall and Mr Roy Donaldson for their upkeep of both the memorial for Cllr Gordon Spurdens and the War Memorial garden. Mrs Marshall has acknowledged the letter.

9. Date of Next Meeting: 7.30pm on Thursday 24th September 2020.

The meeting closed at 8.10pm.